Why 340B Matters
Analysis of 340B DSH Hospital Services Delivered to Vulnerable Patient Populations
340B Health commissioned the research firm Dobson DaVanzo & Associates to conduct an analysis of hospitals to determine the extent to which disproportionate share (DSH) hospitals participating in the 340B drug discount program are targeting their services to vulnerable patient populations. The study compared 340B DSH hospitals to DSH hospitals not in the 340B program on three metrics: (1) low-income Medicaid/Medicare SSI patient caseload, (2) uncompensated care and unreimbursed costs, and (3) provision of specialized services. The study found that 340B DSH hospital low-income patient loads are nearly twice as large as non-340B hospital low-income patient loads, 340B DSH hospitals account for about one third of all DSH hospitals but provide nearly 60 percent of all uncompensated care, and more 340B DSH hospitals than non-340B hospitals are providing specialized services that are often unprofitable.
Click here to see an executive summary, the full report, and infographics summarizing the results.
Case Studies from the Field: How 340B Impacts the Community
Hospitals throughout the country are able to maintain and enhance health care services critical to our most vulnerable patient populations thanks to their participation in the 340B drug discount program. 340B Health is proud to share case studies from the field which demonstrate how safety-net hospitals are expanding and improving care for their indigent patients through 340B savings. Please click the links below to see a few examples:
- Using 340B to Help Patients: The Tennessee Experience
- Using 340B Savings to Improve Oncology Care: Stories from Unique Communities with a Common Mission
- Using 340B Savings To Improve Patient Health Outcomes: A Perspective from Minnesota’s Urban and Rural Communities
- Virginia Commonwealth University Health System
- Utah Valley Regional Medical Center
- Regional Health, South Dakota
For further information on how 340B participating hospitals utilize 340B savings, please read the report below:
- Report Demonstrating the Value of the 340B Program to Safety Net Hospitals and the Vulnerable Patients They Serve - Perspective from 340B Health Members
Faces of 340B
340B is more than a drug purchasing program. It’s a life saver for vulnerable uninsured and underinsured patients.
- Clarence Long
- Anthony Suarez
- Gustavo Rosales
- Kent Greenway
- Debbie Scott
- Guadalupe Mendoza
- Lamar Williams
- Shannon Williams
Videos: Why 340B matters
Watch as hospital providers from across the country explain how access to 340B drug discounts enables their institutions to fulfill their safety net mission.
The 340B Drug Discount Program
- 340BFacts.com - Setting the Record Straight About the 340B Drug Discount Program