340B Insight Podcast
Episode Thirty-Five: HRSA Takes New Action Against Drug Companies Denying 340B Discounts
September 30, 2021
This week, we are joined by Maureen Testoni, 340B Health’s president and CEO. The Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA) made a major announcement recently regarding drug companies that are denying 340B discounts on drugs dispensed at community pharmacies. Maureen analyzes the news and discusses what comes next on this issue. She also catches us up on several other important 340B developments from during the summer. (Transcript)
This Episode is Sponsored By
- HRSA Refers Six Drug Companies for Possible Fines HRSA recently referred the first six drug manufacturers that imposed 340B pricing restrictions to the Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (HHS OIG). Maureen explains what this step in the enforcement process means, what the OIG will do next, how the drug companies are responding, and what covered entities should do about two companies that were not included.
- The Drug Companies’ Motivation to Deny 340B Discounts 340B Health recently released a report about how the 340B community pharmacy dispute has affected diabetes drugs. Maureen recaps the report’s findings and how it uncovers the drug companies’ likely motivation for sidestepping the 340B statute.
- Drug Pricing Legislation and 340B Congress is working on legislation to lower drug prices. Lawmakers also have introduced bipartisan legislation that would prevent certain discriminatory pricing behavior against 340B providers. Maureen explains what potential federal bills could mean for 340B.
- COVID-19 Concerns Continue The COVID-19 pandemic has prompted concerns that some hospitals could become ineligible for the 340B program. Maureen explains how 340B Health is working with Congress on legislation to ensure protection for these hospitals.
- U.S. Supreme Court Takes 340B Case This fall, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear a case regarding Medicare drug payment cuts to many 340B hospitals that have been in place since 2018. Maureen discusses the case and why the administration should not wait to hear the court’s decision to stop the cuts.
Check out all of our episodes on the 340B Insight podcast website. You also can stay updated on all 340B Health news and information by visiting our homepage. If you have any questions you’d like us to cover in this podcast, email us at email@example.com.